Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx SSL problem (VMS AXP, SSLEAY 0.6.6, 11/2/97 lynx271ssl

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx SSL problem (VMS AXP, SSLEAY 0.6.6, 11/2/97 lynx271ssleay.uue)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 13:39:55 -0500 (EST)

Kerry Bouchard <address@hidden> wrote:
>    I have the 11/2/97 distribution of the lynx271ssleay.uue file from Foteos
>Macrides, and the 0.6.6 version of the SSLEAY library.  I was able to get
>SSLEAY and then Lynx to compile and link on our system (VMS version 6.2 for
>AXP, Multinet v4.0, rev A), but the LYNX.EXE still won't access HTTPS sites.
>When I run it with -trace on, the error is (for example):
>
>  Making HTTPS connection to www.census.gov:6868.
>  HTTP: Unable to complete SSL handshake for remote host 'https://www.census.
>  gov:6868/Free/fdlOF.htm' (SSLerror = -1)
>
>I'm not sure where to go from here.  I have seen some references in previous
>messages to setting up certificates for SSLEAY -- is that something I need
>to do before SSL will work?  [...]

        That site doesn't require a certificate, and I have no problem
connecting to it with MultiNet:

[...]
HTParse: aName:https://www.census.gov:6868/Free/fdl0F.htm   relatedName:
HTParse: result:https
HTParse: aName:https://www.census.gov:6868/Free/fdl0F.htm   relatedName:
HTParse: result:www.census.gov:6868
Looking up www.census.gov:6868.
HTParseInet: Parsed address as port 6868, IP address 148.129.129.31
Making HTTPS connection to www.census.gov:6868.
EXP-RC4-MD5
[...]

        When building the SSLeay libraries for MultiNet, you need to
define the write(), read() and close() to MultiNet's socket functions:

#define write socket_write
#define read socket_read
#define close socket_close
extern int socket_write();
extern int socket_read();
extern int socket_close();

in [.crypto.buffer]bss_sock.c for v0.6.n, or [.crypto.bio]bss_sock.c
for v0.8.n.  It will compile for you if you don't do that, but the
handshake fails because you end up using code for reading and writing
to a file rather that the socket.

                                Fote