LYNX-DEV more chartrans

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: LYNX-DEV more chartrans
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 16:09:33 +0300 (MSK)

I just checked CHANGES.new,
thanks, most of my suggestions were implemented.

One more here, about charset assumption if we have 7bit text.

A huge majority of texts have only us-ascii symbols,
but if you check '=' or p)rint to email
there is an assumed charset name introduced,
non us-ascii in any case and possible non iso-latin-1.
This may confuse people and some wrongly implemented mailreaders
and possible increase haos.

Is it possible to test new coming page whether it have 8bit or not,
and set the appropriate variable to us-ascii in the code?

If yes, you may remove x00-x7f (or at least x20-x7e) region
from every chartrans table (is there any exception from us-ascii conformance?
maybe x7F somewhere?)

I just care of information (dis-information) purpose,
but even it may save CPU out of chartrans "projection" if you need no such.
(of cause, I mean one-byte encodings only.
>From the other hand, you still need to translate ©
and others &...; in HTML.)

Sincerely,

Leonid.