Re: LYNX-DEV Bug in Lynx 2-7-2 with web500gw

From: Ric Miller ACNS
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Bug in Lynx 2-7-2 with web500gw
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 09:42:44 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, David Woolley wrote:

> Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 08:04:16 +0000 (GMT)
> From: David Woolley <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Bug in Lynx 2-7-2 with web500gw
>

> > After installing lynx 2-7-2 the following url
> >
> >   http://directory.colostate.edu:1411/o=Colorado State University, c=US
>
> As you more or less point out below, this is not a URL.

  This worked at 2-5.  It seem to be valid then.  It works with Netscape
  3.0 and all other versions as far as I know.

> > |   No additional information is available.Please report unexpected
> > |   errors/bugs to your administrator.
>
> They mean the administrator of the web500gw installation.  The server in
> question is the LDAP server.

  I know the web500gw is complaining.  He is complaining because lynx 2.7.2
  got rid of the spaces.  No other clients I have tried has done this.

> > At 2-7-2 THE SEARCH BOX APPEARS AT THE BOTTOM(this is not correct).
>
> >                                                        I do not  understand
> > why  the search box is moved to the bottom.  This appears to have something
> > to do with the web500gw detecting what kind of client is talking to it  and
> > changing the source html accordingly?
>
> That's rather strange, as I don't believe the standard web500gw package is
> all that sophisticated in that sort of area, although I haven't experimented
> with it.  The source code is available, and you should probably follow up on
> the IETF directory deployment mailing list, as the original LDAP list seems
> to have died.

  I also find it rather strange that this would behave differently based on
  this client.  I do not have time to look through source code that appears
  to be working on every other client I try.  It seems to me someone should
  be able to tell me why it works one way with lynx  2.5  and  another  way
  with 2.7.2.

   Ric Miller (address@hidden)
   Academic Computing & Networking Services