Re: LYNX-DEV can't load root directories with Lynx_w32

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV can't load root directories with Lynx_w32
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 98 10:59:37 EST

I don't know if this would work the same way in Win95, but my
Lynx/386, when pointed to the root directory of my C: drive,
bookmarked it as
  file://localhost/../
(Lynx is running in a Lynx subdirectory on the C: drive),
and it called my D: root directory
  file://localhost/d:/

There are probably shorter names, but since Lynx generated them, I
figure they might be more likely to work.
These URL's don't work in Internet Explorer, because I E never heard
of localhost.  I use my Lynx_boo.htm file as a start file for I E,
since I will often want to get two different views of a site.

  On Tue, 10 Feb 1998 12:38:30 +0100, K. Peijnenborg
<address@hidden> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I tried navigating the directory structure on my
>hard disk with Lynx and found that backing up to
>root level causes Lynx to hang. Also, when I try
>G file:///<drive>:/ on a hard drive or diskette,
>Lynx just locks up. Then I tried file:///<drive>:/.
>(note the dot) which worked, but showed the amusing
>first entry 'Up to ..'. But the problem of not
>being able to go 'Up to' the root remains.
>
>I use Lynx Version 2.7.1ac-0.108 for Win32.
>
>thank you,
>
>Karel

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       address@hidden    http://www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) address@hidden http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/lras/