Re: LYNX-DEV Year 2000 Compliance

From: Mark H. Wood
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Year 2000 Compliance
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 08:30:57 -0500 (EST)

This Y2K stuff is getting out of hand.  If a Web browser has trouble
digesting the date:

o       will your customers be harmed because their accounts are all
        screwed up?

o       will management begin making poor decisions because time-series
        data in a decision-support system have become corrupt?

o       will anyone, in fact, notice before, say, Halloween?

If there are known problems then they should of course be fixed.  If
one suspects actual harmful problems, those suspicions should be
investigated.  But the Y2K thing is taking on the characteristics of a
witch-hunt.  Somehow we need to eliminate the hysteria and consider
whether the effort to borrow trouble is truly worth it, or whether it is
more economical to use the natural passage of time to detect some of
these problems.

I know that won't help you deal with your Y2K team, but somebody had to
say it.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   address@hidden
One more time:  a (level-2) switch is a bridge.  A "level-3 switch" is