Re: LYNX-DEV dodging the gun

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV dodging the gun
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 08:11:08 +0000 (GMT)

> > Most of the interest in SSL Lynx is from the USA and the RSA patent still
> > makes it impossible to distribute a complete SSL Lynx there, without
> > breaching a significant clause in the GPL and undermining the credibility
> > of that licence.
>
> First of all there's no reason to think "most" of the interest is in the US.

I've only seen one request on the list for SSL Lynx with an address that
might be outside the USA, so I would say essentially all the interest
amongst those on the list is from the USA.

> and shouldn't concern himself with appeasing the US authorities.

Please don't forget that there are patent issues as well, and GPL clause
7 would seem to prevent any distribution of SSL Lynx executables
because of the RSA component.  The debatable issue would seem to be
whether clause 7 applies to export controls (the Netscape licence
seems to cover these in separate clauses (3.4 for patents and 4 for
export controls)).  You can separate the patent and export control
issues in that you stub out the patented code, but if the hooks argument
is valid, you still have export control problems.