Re: LYNX-DEV UNIXish and DOSish software

From: Personal
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV UNIXish and DOSish software
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 15:16:48 -0700 (MST)

Michael Sokolov <address@hidden> writes:

>   Jason F. McBrayer <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Yes, and it's entirely the Wrong Thing to do, on OS/2 at least.
>> On DOS it might be more justified,
>
>   If you want XFree86, telnetd, or dial-in access, use UNIX! That's what
>it's for! DOS and related OSes are single-user. My opinion is that if a
>person deliberately chooses DOS over UNIX (like I do on my 80386-based IBM
>PC AT-compatible at home), he/she does NOT want multi-user capabilities or
>remote access. Such a person wants things to work the DOS single-user
>local-only way!

Incorrect speculation! In my case, as with many other (especially lynx users
I suspect) I am forced to use Windows because it is my employers machine,
I have certain DOS/Windows only software that I must use, and other such
considerations. I don't like working with DOS/Windows, but do so because I
have to. I am now typing this in an emacs window displayed on my PC's
X-Windows server because I don't want anything to do with the crappy DOS/WIN
email stuff. I would like my PC to behave as much like a unix box, and as
little (where I have to interface with it) like a windows box as possible.

Certainly there are people who feel as you describe, but I doubt that they
are in the majority among DOS/WIN lynx users.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,
Email: address@hidden (Scott McGee)         | run in circles,
Web:   http://www.slcc.edu/infotech/webmaster.html | scream and shout.
My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the College. Trust me!