Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx bookmark display problems

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx bookmark display problems
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 00:49:37 +0400 (MSD)

>      * From: Jacob Poon <address@hidden>
>      * Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 17:09:07 -0400
>      * Sender: address@hidden

> BTW, just out of curiosity, what does character number 129 in ISO Latin 1
> character set looks like?

There is no valid letters in 128-159 range for ISO LATIN 1 (2,3,4...)
it is so called C1 control area, this may be a cursor moving codes in xterm
for example.
If you look the bookmark from different terminals with different display
charsets you will look all chars correctly.
Unfortunately, if you add new links to bookmark from different terminals,
8bit chars will be saved properly from one terminal only,
if matching assume_local_charset or META inside bookmarks.

[...]
> The bookmark # 123 is incorrectly rendered to 333, and sometimes 332.  But
> that's not all, when I redraw screen by pressing ctrl-L, these lines are
> re-rendered as:
>
>    131. Kasey's Korner
>    132. Gnter Nagler's midi utilities
>   133.  PSX Covers Site!
>    134. Welcome
>
> It turned out that was because the display character set was set to
> 'DosLatinUS (cp437)' (aka US-ASCII) and viewing the page under xterm.
All Internet services recognize "us-ascii" for 7bit characters, <128 only.
To see any character >127 with lynx you *should* choose
display character set in Lynx Options Menu according to your
local font installed. To check your font go http://lynx.browser.org
and look for Lynx 2.8 source breakout,
browse *.html files in test/ subdirectory there.
For comparison try "7 bit approximation" in _Lynx_.
Details of charsets mapping can be found in src/chrtrans/ subdirectory.