Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx_w32.zip feedback

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx_w32.zip feedback
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 18:03:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998 address@hidden wrote:

> >Foteos Macrides <address@hidden> wrote:
> >Wayne and Doug,
> >on invoking the W32 Lynx.  However, when I 'd'ownloaded a text file
> >(LYMail.c from the dev5 source breakout) and subsequently tried to view
> >it with Notepad, it was garbled due to non-recognition of newlines.  I
> >went to the MS DOS prompt and opened it with that editor, and it displayed
> >OK.  I then Save'd that, and it displayed OK in Notepad too.  This seems
> >to mean that Notepad needs CRLF, but the DOS editor doesn't, to recognized
> >newlines, and the DOS editor converts LFs to CRLFs on Save's.  Do you have
> >any recommendations on how to deal with all this more conveniently when
> >trying to view files 'd'ownloaded by Lynx when accessing them via Desktop
> >utilities?
> >
> First of all, depending on the exact version you downloaded, there was
> an _fmode = O_BINARY statement which evolved into a series of _fmode
> statements in the latest version, but the overall effect was to make
> text transfers look like Unix text.  Removing the _fmode statement has

My understanding is that mode O_BINARY will make files PRINTed from lynx
have 0A EOL's, but will not convert text files already in MSDOS format,
with 0D 0A EOL's. The lynx source files are unix-style text files and
are downloaded exactly as they are stored on the web site or in the
archive file. There are several options. One is to convert them to DOS
form with a simple utility like "flip". The other main option is to use
utilities that deal with both unix and dos text files. Buerg's "list"
program and the "less" program work fine for viewing files. For an
editor, I prefer "vim", which has been ported to DOS and Win95. I
presume that "vile" also works fine with both types of files. I don't
use Win95 much, so I can't comment on its native editors, but the above
utilities can be used either directly from Win95 or in a DOS window.
                               Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)