lynx-dev Re: lynx_w32.zip feedback

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: lynx-dev Re: lynx_w32.zip feedback
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 12:04:02 -0400

address@hidden wrote:
>>     * From: Al Gilman <address@hidden>
>>     * Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 12:03:42 -0400 (EDT)
>

>>I also couldn't properly quote the "silver bullets" remark
>>because it was sent in a not-ready-for-Internet code page.
>>
>>I get brash at times, but not even I have had the Chutzpah to
>>tell Fote what not to do.
>
>Sorry.  I'm also one of the pioneers in computer science, and my
>name is in the bibliography of most standard textbooks.  Strange
>you use a Yiddish term, since you `don't know who I am'. Comrade.
>
>As for my remark to Fote, it was meant to be supportive.  He read
>it out of context.  Deliberately.  And responded with insult to a
>polite comment. The rest of you could all learn a great deal
>about manners, toning down abusiveness, and positive ways to direct
>software development projects.

        I read it in the same context as reflected in Al's reference
to your "silver bullets" remark.  Your previous posts, like the one
directed explicitly to me, came across as from someone seeking
(perhaps without conscious self-realization) Tonto's to follow and
revere him as the Lone Ranger.  This message reads as more of the
same -- in effect, a pretext for projecting yourself as another one
of those Computer Science Professionals.  You seem more concerned
with communicating that your name is in the bibliography of most
standard textbooks, than in correcting any misunderstanding.  If
you in fact where someone who practiced what he preaches, I would
expect you to have written something along the lines of "Sorry if
what I wrote offended you; it was not my intention." -- instead
of what you wrote and is quoted above -- more self-elevation at
my expense.  I hope any people who need guidance on how to conduct
themselves on this list use someone like Wayne, instead of you thus
far and the current Hon Kays of like kind to which I directed you,
as a model.

        Note also, that when I directed you to them, I did not
use "we" or "some of us", but simply spoke for myself, as myself.
People like that invariably project their own character, ego needs,
and "competetivess" onto others, while viewing themselves a selfless
and interested only in the greater good (i.e., as truly like Wayne),
and thereafter feel free to speak for those who "bought it" (again,
often without self-awarness of what they are doing; any more than
their Tonto's realize what has been done to them).

        It is also customary to lurk on lists, if you have not been
actively participating for some time, and learn the participants'
communication styles, further reducing potiential miscommunication.
In that vein, I'll answer what I suspect was an unexpressed question
in Al's message.

        I was unsure, Al, if you intended that post to be brash,
or were too wrapped up in thinking about the relationships between
positional versus USEMAP fragments, so I simply stated that I wasn't
sure what your point is, and gave you a lengthy description of their
relationships, without taking offense.  It is not why I hadn't posted
for a month or two.  I was busy trying to set up this PC and stop
feeling like a fish out of water on it, i.e., to be able to use it
seriously, rather than just as a terminal emulator for connecting
to a VMS or Unix box.  It doesn't bother me when you are brash at
times -- because you are not ingenuous -- (and because you thus
can't complain when I'm brash at times :).

                                Fote
--
Foteos Macrides (address@hidden during April '98)