Re: lynx-dev Altavista E-Mail

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Altavista E-Mail
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 09:48:02 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, David McLean said:

> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 19:24:40 -0400
>
> Brian, Actually, in all seriousness, have you managed to get Lynx to work
> on MVS?  If so what are the components needed? I've been wondering about
> that possibility for awhile since the only so-called browser I know of for
> MVS is the CICS web interface.

I have Lynx2-8 stumbling on MVS (actually, OS/390 1.2)

Requirements:

    OpenEdition MVS

    Serial terminal access (via e.g. rlogin, telnet)

    gmake (Posix compliance breaks Lynx's makefile)

Things that work:

    Basic screen display, including forms.

    file:, http:, and ftp: URL access.

    text and binary download to local files.

Things that don't work

    Many of the named and numeric character entities

    Any character set except default.

    mailto: URLs

Things I haven't even tested:

    Other URL schemes (gopher:, wais:, nntp:, etc.)

My patch is at:

   Linkname: lynx.patch.os390.zip

I'm eager for feedback.

-- gil