Re: lynx-dev Header alignment with DIV

From: David Henderson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Header alignment with DIV
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 12:19:31 -0500 (CDT)

>Jacob Poon pointed out a telnet site with Lynx 2-8 yesterday (see
>Archive), if you don't want to compile 2-8 yourself.

I tried it (bob.bob.bofh.org), but after a few moments it just drops the
connection without ever getting to a prompt for me to enter my E-mail
address (as listed on the "Try Lynx for yourself" page).  And none of
the other public Lynx sites have 2.8.  So I asked at Lynx-Dev instead.

>in real life on lynx-dev, no-one is likely to test your HTML fragments:

Really?  When I was more involved in Lynx development, I would almost
always test them with the latest version I had, especially when they were
marked clearly.

>lynx-dev's volunteer developers have limited time & interests:

A point I know all too well; I used to be a more active participant.

>there's no point in reporting 2-7 bugs

I wanted to know if it was still a problem in 2-8.  I do follow the
discussions rather closely (via the archive), and didn't see anything on
this topic recently; I also checked the CHANGES file for 2-8 and didn't
notice anything that would indicate that the behavior had been changed.
So either (1) it's still a bug, or (2) someone really needs to be more
descriptive in their CHANGES file entries if they fixed the problem,
either one of which should concern the Lynx-Dev group.

>there are many other good reasons for updating to 2-8, after which you
>can report 2-8 bugs, which ARE important.

The machine I'm using as my primary machine doesn't allow me the capacity
to compile the new version right now.  If it turns out that the problem
does not exist in 2.8, then I'll be satisfied knowing that.  If it still
is a problem, though, then it should be added to the bottom of "The List"
of things that need improvement.

Speaking of which, there really should be a "The List" of the various
problems and bug reports that have been blown off (and there have been
quite a few which have been) as "we have limited time and interest" over
the past few months, so that when someone *does* have some time, or when
they develop an interest, they can check "The List" to see if anyone
reported a problem.

David Henderson
--
Star Trek?  Psi Phi!  Visit http://www.psiphi.org/ for the latest news
and rumors about "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and "Star Trek: Voyager"
<*> davidh at psiphi.org, davidh at imsa.edu, davidh at cyberdesic.com