lynx-dev problem in Lynx Version 2.8.1dev.17

From: A . Sloman
Subject: lynx-dev problem in Lynx Version 2.8.1dev.17
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 19:47:45 +0100

Dear Lynx developers,

As a regular lynx user, I thought I'd try out the latest development
version:

   Linkname: lynx2.8.1dev.17.tar.gz

        ftp://ftp.vse.cz/pub/network/lynx-dev/current/lynx2.8.1dev.17.tar.gz

I am using Solaris 2.6
        uname -a
        SunOS gromit 5.6 Generic_105181-04 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2

I like the new "verbose images" and "partial display" facilities.

However I have found that if the partial display facility is turned on
then the "lynx -dump" option crashes with

        Segmentation fault

I discovered that if I do

        lynx -dump -partial

then it works. I suspect this means that it should be a simple fix to
see if the "-dump" argument is supplied when partial mode is on, and
turn it off?  (The "-partial" option is not yet in the man file.)

It would be nice if there were an "o" accessibel Option for partial
display that could be turned on and off while lynx is being used
interactively.

(Another good change would be for the line-breaking to be turned off
when the -dump option is used. This can damage things like postscript
files. I have learnt to add -width 1000000. But that should not be
necessary?)

I write as a grateful user of lynx, not a developer or potential
developer. (I am not a C programmer).

I am grateful because in addition to disliking use of a mouse, I prefer
to avoid all the stupid "design" that goes into many web pages which
makes them harder to read and use (e.g. textured backgrounds, fonts too
small, colour contrasts that don't work on my terminal, space taken up
by irrelevant menu options and adverts, silly moving images, stupid
frame sizes.... etc.)

A recent example of such bad design is the UK Engineering and Physical
Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Web site, which used to be fine, and
has now been "re-designed" so that it is awful:
    http://www.epsrc.ac.uk
I've complained about this, but maybe others could too.

Thanks.
Aaron
====
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs/ )
EMAIL   address@hidden
Phone: +44-121-414-4775 (Sec 3711)       Fax:   +44-121-414-4281