Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "go back to <prior page>" in OTHER browsers

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "go back to <prior page>" in OTHER browsers
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 22:44:59 -0400

From: David Combs <address@hidden>

> Anyway, as far as I know, netscape 4, which I use
> locally for table display (only), has no such stack-display,

Sure it does - actually a couple of places.  One is under the Go menu
and the other is now the back button's popup menu (when you hold down
the appropriate mouse button).

> whole stack -- he can't even see how high it is!

It all depends on the version.  On the Mac, the History menu scrolls as
far as the nesting goes as far as I can tell.  On Unix, there is a fixed
history stack.

> My question: just how do netscape users use netscape?
> In particular, do they actually follow those instructions
> for "go back to top" by clicking on that link, thus
> stacking up higher?

Some do, some use the back, and some find they have no choice - the
'back to top' isn't a simple label link or URL but a call to a cgi...

> Or is netscape (or M$ exploiter) smart enough to NOT
> stack up by one when going "forward" to the immediately
> prior page -- or even when completing a cycle?

Nope as far as I can tell, all browser do what they are told in this
case, rather than ignoring what the HTML says to do.  I know I would
be rather unhappy to see software ignoring the HTML.  On the other hand,
recent versions of frame support have taken to the 'ignore the HTML'
and trying to do what they think is right.  It causes no end of confusion
to folk to find some things on the history and other things now.

> My 2nd question: does this mean that our doc should
> tell lynx users what is actually happening (stack getting
> bumped), and that they should go back via "h", rather
> than clicking on the "go back" link on the page?

> That is, does one use lynx DIFFERENTLY from how one uses
> netscape et al?

Nope - folk use it the same and there's really no need to explain this
any more than explaining that if they select a link called 'click here'
that it's going on the stack.