Re: lynx-dev regex in whereis?

From: Heather Stern
Subject: Re: lynx-dev regex in whereis?
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 19:24:49 -0700 (PDT)

I ate the fortune cookie first, then read what Laura Eaves wrote:

> Just catching up on my email and noticed this thread...
>
> I think that if regex functionality is added to search
> there should be 2 search commands -- let '/'
> act as before and add a command (':' or something) for advanced search.

We have so many characters loaded down with feature already I have to ask
what : is already being used for (as a default... of course we can remap
things, but most people won't).

> Either that or add a prompt to the whereis command (/) asking whether

No no no no  :(  don't make / ask me a question!  I've gotten way to used to

        /word

hopping straight down to word, it's my favorite way to navigate pages that
are chock-full'o'links.  These are of course my favorite starting places
for a long web session of research...

> That way novice users won't be expected to understand regular expressions.

I think Larry's idea of having the Options menu control whether regex or
case is applied during search is *much* better.

There's so many kinds of regex that offering regex help in the help pages
is probably a good idea even for veterans.  Some of us spend way too many
hours at the CRT :)

For an initial attempt I'd probably say, different behavior depending on your
User Level would be sufficient, and after the Better Options Menu is more
complete, let people completely customize an options profile.  Then I could
have mostly Advanced behaviors except where I occasionally like the ease of
a Novice option on one thing.

> Anyone disagree?
> --le

Advanced vs less powerful search sounds good, but only if it doesn't make
simple search annoying.

-*- Heather Stern -*- address@hidden -*-