Re: lynx-dev New <BR> collapsing patch

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev New <BR> collapsing patch
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:16:37 +0900 (JST)

> i completely agree that the 2nd choice should be `collapse all' for purists;
> `collapse none' should be 3rd (few, if anyone, wants that);
> `collapse non-pairs' should be default to help the huddled masses.

I also like to talk things out to the end, as long as we are talking
about Lynx.  We all love Lynx that much.  So I want to make clear
again that I think the "3rd" is a waste of code, just keeps adding
to creeping bloat.  What you call `collapse none' and `collapse non-
pairs' should be merged, IMHO, to give the most "easily viewed" or
"expected behavior" to the most people most of the time.  Believe me,
if I had the time, I'd work toward recoding the comment handling, too,
so that there were only "correct" and an acceptable (to most people
most of the time) merge of "historical/minimal".

If it really is true that "few, if anyone, wants" the `collapse none',
then why not simply replace it with `collapse non-pairs', i.e., move
David's patch there.  Now *that* would be nice.  Maybe finish the
proposal with a patch to lynx.cfg, and maybe userdefs.h, to change
the default (see appended diff -c).

> but the basic questions are going to come up again (and again) ...

Isn't that the truth!

__Henry

*** lynx2-8-1/lynx.cfg.dist     Tue Aug 18 12:59:48 1998
--- lynx2-8-1/lynx.cfg  Tue Aug 18 15:13:54 1998
***************
*** 756,764 ****
  # If COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS is set FALSE, Lynx will not collapse serial BR tags.
  # Note that the valid way to insert extra blank lines in HTML is via a PRE
  # block with only newlines in the block.
! # The default is defined in userdefs.h, and can be overridden here.
! #
! #COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS:TRUE

  # If SET_COOKIES is set FALSE, Lynx will ignore Set-Cookie headers
  # in http server replies.
--- 756,765 ----
  # If COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS is set FALSE, Lynx will not collapse serial BR tags.
  # Note that the valid way to insert extra blank lines in HTML is via a PRE
  # block with only newlines in the block.
! # The compilation default for COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS is defined TRUE in userdefs.h,
! # but we'll override that here and set it FALSE because there are just too
! # many authors out there using <BR> tags as if they were carriage returns.
! COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS:FALSE