lynx-dev Lynx with GNU gettext NLS support

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Lynx with GNU gettext NLS support
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 22:44:17 -0400

I've created a version of Lynx with GNU gettext hooks. Thanks to David
Trueman, and Chris Maxwell, of CSuite Networking Coop Ltd, and Karl
Eichwalder (for hello), I've managed a least a working prototype.
The main improvement over the CSuite version is that this one uses a
configure script. The first cut is available via ftp:

ftp://www.slcc.edu/pub/lynx/current/lynx2-8-1-dev21-intl.tar.bz2
ftp://www.slcc.edu/pub/lynx/current/lynx2-8-1-dev21-intl.tar.gz

To enable gettext, do "configure --with-included-gettext"

Known bugs:

*) the LOCALE directory is hard-coded.  I haven't been able to figure
   a way to discover it and pass it through configure to the right place.
*) The code works on my NetBSD system, but not on the SLCC Solaris box.
   It compiles; just doesn't give international text.
*) I've just got a few language files with demo text.  This text is
   for the lynx -version switch (see below).
*) The "foreign" languages were faked from babelfish.  Sorry...
*) The makefile rules need review.  I have modified the target directory
   to be lynx2-8-1-dev21-intl, since that is what I am hacking on.  I
   intend to submit patches to Tom Dickey once some other systems are
   working.  This probably should go to Lynx2-8-2 since it will require
   major code updates.
*) I know dev22 is out, plus patches (this one goes to 11).
*) I'm using gettext() rather than _() since the latter gives a warning
   under BSD.
*) "make tar" leaves config.cache, config.log and config.status as
   well as makefile in the top directory.  Remove them before you run
   configure.