lynx-dev proposal for better external processes

From: Gregory S. Stark
Subject: lynx-dev proposal for better external processes
Date: 01 Sep 1998 01:39:15 -0400

I use the following configuration options to allow background downloading
large documents using wget in another vt console window under Linux. It works
great, thank you to whoever implemented this feature.

# EXTERNAL:<url>:<command> %s:<norestriction>

EXTERNAL:ftp: cd /tmp && open -ws wget '%s' &:FALSE
EXTERNAL:http:cd /tmp && open -ws wget '%s' &:FALSE

However, I have just run into a limitation in this mechanism, there is a
variety of state in lynx that isn't passed to the subprocess including
cookies, username, and password. Wget has the ability to specify all of these
as command line parameters, so all that's really needed is to add escapes for
them. Then I can write a rule that includes them in the command.

What i'm envisioning is something like this:

EXTERNAL:http:cd /tmp && open -ws wget --http-user='%u'
  --http-password='%p' --header='Cookies: %c'

Well, actually I don't remember the right name for the header containing the
cookies, but whatever it is, that should work. Then at least whenever a
flexible tool like wget is being used external downloads would be much more
powerful, they should basically always work.

This doesn't seem like it should be too hard, I will probably get around to it
sometime myself, but i don't have a source tree handy and I have other
projects bouncing around my head these days. Also, I stopped following
lynx-dev a while ago, so please CC me on any replies.

greg