Re: lynx-dev Header alignment problems

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Header alignment problems
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 08:17:13 +0100 (BST)

> I believe this is happening because both DIV and TABLE are setting the
> alignment of all embedded things to LEFT by default, rather than leaving

This is perfectly legal behaviour.  Browsers are allowed to set their own
styles.  Layout issues like this are never bugs, because HTML is a NOT
a page layout language.  (However, if CSSn style sheets are implemented,
there would need to be changes as the current behaviour doesn't nest
inner boxes relative to their containing boxes, or at least didn't in
2.7.2.)

> them at their "default default".  So instead of seeing H3's indented two
> spaces, we see them all the way at the left indistinguishable from an H2.
> (Basically, all headers are being displayed with the HLEFT style.)
>
> I will try to find how to stop this from occurring, but if anyone has
> pointers on where I should start investigating the code, I'd appreciate
> the help.

I think it would be more productive to implement the CSS2 layout model than
to tweak the current layout code.