Re: lynx-dev Partial display feature

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Partial display feature
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 10:24:43 +0900 (JST)

> > pre2 yet) Lynx's partial display now displays the page as it comes
> > in by page, that is, the screen will remain blank until the first
> > full page of the html document is downloaded and rendered.  Contrast
> > this with the earlier handling, where the rendered webpage is
> > displayed as each new
>
> There is the parameter ``minimum number of lines received before we
> force first repaint'' it was set to 2 but recently was changed to the
> screen height (~24).  The reason was to reduce discomfort on very slow
> network connection.

I think my initial impression was not well investigated.  I have partial
turned off now because for a connection as slow as mine it's pretty
much useless anyway.  Really, partial display is for impatient people
who *think* their connection is slow :). NO modification, 24 lines or
whatever, is going to solve the problem at this end.

Changing it back to 2 lines, therefore, is the way to go perhaps for
_people for whom partial is useful_.  A "best for most people" kind
of handling of partial display ought to be implemented, and the code
solidified that way.  I wouldn't bother making it any more complex than
it is by making a bunch of options available in lynx.cfg.  Just having
1) "good" partial display support and 2) the ability to turn it off
should be enough.

__Henry