Re: lynx-dev rc save bug

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev rc save bug
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 05:55:32 -0400 (EDT)

981008 Bela Lubkin wrote:
> Philip Webb wrote:
>> i am not a little irritated to discover i have been caused inconvenience
>> by something designed for people who choose to make their Lynx available
>> to all & sundry out in the unwashed & ill-behaved World:
>> people who run computer systems like that get what they deserve IMHO.
> You're irritated by a misconception.
> That code is trying to protect *you*.

see my message `who owns what' replying to TD yesterday:
the problem arose because of messages on lynx-dev in August/September
which were explicitly concerned with ANONYMOUS spoofers;
it was exacerbated by the rather clumsy programming response,
which is not meant as a criticism of the programmer himself.
i don't believe such attacks are at all likely on our system
& if one occurred it could surely be tracked
by appropriate software available to system managers:
that's why it's an ANONYMOUS problem, ie you can't track the buggers.
i would rather run the one-in-a-million chance of getting a file trashed
than spend  2 days  trying to get people to take me seriously
& then having ultimately to solve the problem myself
by simply deleting the offensive code.

i do appreciate your own help (and TD's).