Re: lynx-dev Using hotmail with lynx

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Using hotmail with lynx
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 03:01:54 -0700

Philip Webb wrote:

> 981010 lion wrote:
> > When I'm composing a letter from hotmail, navigating with lynx,
> > what can I do to increase the number of lines in the "text-entry field",
> > so that I could send a text with more lines?
>
> nothing: the problem has been discussed more than once,
> but allowing users access to an editor in such cases
> presents security problems, which no-one has found a way round.

The way round is well known: allow the facility to be disabled (and
make that the default in the anonymous settings).  This isn't why it's
never been incorporated.

It's because nobody has actually done the work and submitted the code.

> well, on second thoughts, maybe that's a VERY good example
> why we should be careful not to exaggerate security threats ...

You remember correctly that the security aspects were discussed.  You
are, however, jumping to a wrong conclusion about why the facility
doesn't exist.  It isn't a good example at all since it's based on a
false premise.