Re: lynx-dev QUIT_DEFAULT_YES: no?

From: brian j. pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev QUIT_DEFAULT_YES: no?
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 12:04:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Philip Webb wrote:

> 981015 Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> > 1998-10-10 (2.8.1pre.9)
> > * change defaults in lynx.cfg and userdefs.h, add comments - PW
> >   (c) QUIT_DEFAULT_YES defaults to FALSE
> > Please return quit_default_yes back to TRUE
> > as it was for all previous lynx releases.
> > It is really uncomfortable to get this behaviour changed
> > without user intervention.
>
> this can easily be changed in  lynx.cfg ;
> my reasoning is that the average user will prefer the safer default.
> there appears to be  1  clear vote each way: what do others think?

I think it is rather annoying to start changing defaults between
versions, it totally violates the principle of least astonishment.

If I use a default setting, I generally just leave it at that and don't
re-set it anywhere, and when that default changes it is confusing and
forces another change to my local lynx.cfg.

I feel the same about the GOTOBUFFER default change too.

--
GPG & PGP public keys: <URL:http://www.psnw.com/~posterkid/keys/>
PGP fingerprint: 42 57 B3 D2 39 8E 74 C3  5E 4D AC 43 25 D2 26 D4