lynx-dev Running local Lynx over remote shell account (was: [no useful s

From: David Woolley
Subject: lynx-dev Running local Lynx over remote shell account (was: [no useful subject])
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 08:42:58 +0100 (BST)

> A very stupid query from an Indian student >>
> Vsnl ie. my service provider offers a student shell account ie. an dial up

First question to ask is why do they do this.  It is not a sensible thing
to do unless there is some sort of regulatory restriction on them, which
might also forbid some of the workarounds.  Students are the last people you
want to give shell accounts as shell accounts make it much easier to attack
the service provider's machine and give you access to the service provider's
full bandwidth for things like spamming attempts.

Treat this as an unofficial business studies part of your course.

> shell account (not the tcp/ip account .I want to install lynx on my PC for
> personal use.What do I do?Please detail on the complete installation
> procedure. I have Win 95 on my pc.Kindly reply at address@hidden

Slirp has already been mentioned.  Another approach that could be re-invented
is effectively to use Lynx on the ISP as a proxy.  This has been done in
the past, using, I think, an unmodified Lynx at the ISP and a special
client, but there is no longer any demand for shell account workarounds for
GUI clients and running Lynx remotely is the obvious choice for using a
text mode client.