SLang, color, and bold (was Re: lynx-dev Lynx-2.8.1 is great)

From: Michael Warner
Subject: SLang, color, and bold (was Re: lynx-dev Lynx-2.8.1 is great)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 23:37:31 -0800

On Tue, Oct 27, 1998, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

        [...]
> Louis-David Mitterrand <address@hidden> said:
>
> > One question though: when I build --with-screen=slang (v1.2) hyperlinks
> > are not bold blue unless I say "brightblue:white" in lynx.cfg and this
> > is good AFAIC, whereas when I build --with-screen=ncurses (v4.2)
> > hyperlinks are bold blue even if "COLOR:1:blue:white". Is this normal?
>
> The short answer is that Lynx asks for BOLD with colors irregardless
> of which library it is linked with, but Slang ignores the request,
> because it only handles terminals where bold or blink cannot be
> combined with color.  (I just verified this with TERM=xterm-16color)

If I understand what you're saying, I don't think that's
what I'm seeing.  I build with SLang, and use the TeraTerm
emulator, set to VT100.

For example, in lynx.cfg I've got:

color:1:yellow:blue   #hyperlinks
color:6:black:white   #currently selected link

which produces:

%lynx         ->  color 1 fg = yellow,         color 6 bg = white
%lynx -blink  ->  same as above
%lynx -color  ->  color 1 fg = "brightyellow", color 6 bg = lightgray
%lynx -color -blink  -> 1 fg = "brightyellow", color 6 bg = white

So it seems to me that combining blink with color *does* do
something different than either alone.  Maybe the
command-line flags have nothing to do with what you're
discussing, or maybe I'm using a busted implementation of
... something?  Or maybe, for this purpose, emulator !=
terminal.  Beats me.

By the way, rel-1 built with no problem on Digital 4.0D, and seems to work
fine, but I haven't exercised it much.

--
Michael Warner
<address@hidden>