Re: lynx-dev thoughts on cookie file w/multiple sessions

From: brian j. pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev thoughts on cookie file w/multiple sessions
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:27:01 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, brian j. pardy wrote:
>
> > With the way I have things up there, whichever copy of Lynx is exited first
> > will be the session with the cookie that is saved.
> >
> > So it's pretty much an even shot either way. I don't like this, and can't
> > really think of a way to do handle this without (for example) timestamping
> > individual cookies (possibly with comments in the cookie file?).
>
> Give each session its own cookie file, and merge them (if you wish) after
> they are done?

That can be done, probably best using temp files as is being done for
downloaded files.

However, that still doesn't do anything for us to decide which cookie to
keep when merging the files if we have >=2 identical domain/name/path
cookies with different values.

Example:

Session1 has a cookie with 'uid=foo' name=value pair in it.
Session2 has a cookie with 'uid=foo' name=value pair.

Session2 goes to the site that sent the uid=bar cookie, and uses their
'logout' function, which nulls out the cookie (thus deleting it), and
then the user logs in again as a different user, causing the site to send
a 'uid=bar' name=value pair.

So now, upon each session's exit, they will write differing cookies to
their individual cookie files. How to reconcile which one is worth keeping
when merging them?

--
GPG & PGP public keys: <URL:http://www.psnw.com/~posterkid/keys/>
PGP fingerprint: 42 57 B3 D2 39 8E 74 C3  5E 4D AC 43 25 D2 26 D4