lynx-dev Problem with ^Z suspending

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev Problem with ^Z suspending
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 22:05:36 -0600 (CST)

Here is a problem I have been observing for a while now,
I would like to know whether others can reproduce it and get an idea how
system- and library-specific it is.

The short version: behavior in response to ^Z does not work reliably
if lynx is started from a shell script.

When the lynx binary is started directly from the shell prompt, suspending
with ^Z (which sends SIGTSTP signal) and resuming with "fg" works fine.

When the lynx binary is started from a shell script, say runlynx.sh which
can be as simple as
     #!/bin/sh
     /PATH/TO/lynx
[ or with some shell command that involves subshells, for example
  (unset http_proxy; ./lynx)
]
then, *sometimes*,
 - ^Z suspends lynx and shell prompt appears, but the shell prompt
   may appear in the middle of the screen (depends on -show_cursor
   setting), or otherwise the shell prompt is in the right place
   on the last screen line but the cursor is not: last lynx screen has
   scrolled up two lines, last three screen lines look like this:

     http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/
     [2]+  Stopped                 runlynx.sh
     kweide:/usr/local/src/lynx2-8-2$
     ^
     cursor is here
 AND
 - when later typing "fg" (with or without invervening other shell
   commands), the running script is resumed:

      kweide:/usr/local/src/lynx2-8-2$ fg
      runlynx.sh

      ^
      cursor is here (on empty line)
   but the screen is not refreshed, lynx hangs, normal keys are not
   processed (cursor keys echo as ^[[A^[[B etc.).

   In this situation,
   (1) doing ^Z again, and then
   (2) doing "fg" again
   restores everything to normal, i.e. the "fg" "takes" this time.
   (I think I've also had cases where it took more than two "fg"s
   to recover, but cannot reproduce it now.)

The system:
$ uname -a
Linux kweide.tezcat.com 2.0.33 #1 Wed May 27 02:37:40 CDT 1998 i586 unknown

Some maybe relevant program and library versions (Debian packages):
ii  libc6           2.0.7v-1       The GNU C library version 2 (run-time files)
ii  libc6-dev       2.0.7v-1       The GNU C library version 2 (development fil
ii  libncurses4     4.2-3          Shared libraries for terminal handling
ii  libncurses4-dev 4.2-3          Developer's libraries and docs for ncurses
ii  bash            2.01.1-4.1     The GNU Bourne Again SHell

Lynx versions: various up to recent dev., compiled with the above ncurses
               (actually compiled with color style, I assume that
               shouldn't matter)
running on text mode console.