Re: lynx-dev Lynx does not open some http sites, forces download

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx does not open some http sites, forces download
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 13:45:50 +0000 (GMT)

>         What follows, is a transcript of one such session:

A trace log would have been better - specifically the actual request,
response headers, and the handling of the content type detection.
Failing that, the result of a HEAD request (I do these replies offline,
so it is difficult for me to do the HEAD myself).

> HTTP/.1 200 OK
> texthtml;charset=koi8-r  D)ownload, or C)ancel
> Conen-type: txt/html;charset=koi8-r

There are a large number of missing characters in the above, but
inconsistencies suggest that they were not missing in the HTTP dialogue.

I seem to remember that some older versions of Lynx require there to be
a space before the charset parameter.

> <!-- X-URL: http://www.vechirniykyiv.com/ -->
> <BASE HREF="http://www.vechirniykyiv.com/";>
>
> <HTML>

This is wasted bandwidth; the problem is clearly related to HTTP header
processing, not to HTML - however, the first two lines do indicate that
Lynx didn't consider this to be binary, and probably did consider it to
be HTML, all of which points to problems in recognizing the character set.

Although I think Phillip is over zealous in trying to force everyone to
the latest version, I don't think you are going to get this fixed without
doing so.