Re: lynx-dev Lynx does not open some http sites, forces download

From: Sergey Svishchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx does not open some http sites, forces download
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 11:52:27 +0300

On Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 08:21:52AM -0500, Ismael Cordeiro wrote:

> > >I don't know Russian or Ukranian but it seems that you should get it
> > >right. When I set "display (C)haracter set" to KOI8-R I get the document
> > >displayed.
> >
> > Sure. But of course you do not know that it dispays some mangled garbage,
> > the result of a non-reversible transformation.
>
> I don't know if any of the Lynx developers knows Russian, so let's try to
> find out where the problem is. Check the lines below with your mailreader
> and with Lynx in the Lynx-Dev archives at http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html
> and tell me which ones ("a" or "b"), if any, are correctly displayed when
> using KOI8-R or any other Cyrillic character set (ISO 8859-5, CP866,
> Windows-1251) in your terminal. If "a" or "b" are correctly displayed, tell
> me which character set correctly displays them.
>
> 1a) еКЕЙРПНММЮ БЕПЯЁЪ
> 1b) Електронна версЁя
>
> 2a) б дЮБНЯЁ к.йСВЛЮ ЯЙЮПФХБЯЭ МЮ пНЯЁЧ
> 2b) В ДавосЁ Л.Кучма скарживсь на РосЁю

I viewed this both in Lynx-2.8.2dev.7 with "Preferred Charset:
{windows-1251,koi8-r}" and "Display Charset: cp866" and with tcs, charset
translation tool from Plan 9.

(a) is in windows-1251; (b) is in koi8-r.

(a) comes out OK (tcs complains about unknown rune 0x456 "CYRILLIC SMALL
LETTER BYELORUSSIAN-UKRAINIAN I", Lynx substitutes "ii" for it); (b)
contains mistranslated -- by Russian Apache <URL:http://apache.lexa.ru/>
server software -- Ukrainian characters.  My understanding of why this
occured: server does not "know" about koi8-u charset, and applies
translation tables for koi8-r instead.  Suggested solution: apply
"Ukrainian-charsets" patch to Lynx; "teach" Russian Apache about these
charsets and ask server owner(s) to update their server software.

--
Sergey Svishchev -- svs{at}ropnet{dot}ru