lynx-dev Re: What *is* DJGPP ...?

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Re: What *is* DJGPP ...?
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 09:48:46 -0800

On Sun, Feb 07, 1999, address@hidden (address@hidden) said:

| > I see alot of references to "DJGPP" in various messages, as well
| > in the code (a`la ifdef's), but I've no idea what it actually is,
| > nor what the acronym stands for (other that it is some kind of
| > DOS'ish thingy ... someone's compiler, or ???).
|
| It's a port of gcc (D.J. are the person's initials and GPP is a twist
| on gcc/g++).

Thanks, guys.

Before getting your message, Tom, I took a look at the url that Eric
mentioned.

FWIW, I came across the following tidbits:

  Linkname: dj delorie
  From URL: http://www.delorie.com/users/dj/
     [...]
     Please note that my legal first name really is "DJ". It is not correct
     to insert a space between the D and the J, or to put periods after
     them as if they were initials, or to make either of them lower case.
     They are not initials, and I have no middle name. Honest.

     Many computers will automatically replace DJ with something else,
     thinking that the operator typed it in wrong. They should be
     considered broken, and repaired. I usually encounter these in credit
     card companies and utilities.

and

  Linkname: The history of djgpp
  From URL: http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/history.html
     [...]
     The name was changed from djgcc to djgpp when C++ was added. I forget
     which release this was. Since C++ is integral to gcc, djgpp no longer
     stands for "DJ's G++" but probably stands for something like "DJ's GNU
     Programming Platform".

Yes, I am *always* bored on the Sunday after the Superbowl ... no
more football for ~6 months (sniff).  Note that I do NOT consider
the ProBowl to be "football", in any *real* sense ... :-) ...!

/kim