Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 05:58:19 -0700

On Sat, May 01, 1999 at 07:02:09AM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> I've cc'd this to lynx-dev, where we answer questions...
>
> > To whom it may concern:
> >
> > I was delighted recently to learn about lynx:  I have wanted a browser
> > that would wipe out all those silly graphics for some time now, and
> > increase speed.  I thought maybe lynx could be my answer.  But after
> > reviewing the various sites which make it available and which offer
> > information on it, I have discovered that one must be a semi computer
> > guru to even install it.  How disappointing!  I am not stupid, and am
> > generally pretty technically oriented.  If someone could provide some
> > assistance between the semi computer guru level and the level of the
> > competent computer user, I could install and use this product.  And I
> > would really like to.  But I just don't have the technical computer
> > background to make sense of the installation instructions.  Is there
> > anyone who is willing to help us computer mortals in dealing with this
> > barrier to lynx?  Wouldn't it be in the interest of those of you who
> > favor thisd product to make it a bit more accessible?

Yet another reason to get rid of 99.9% of the compile-time choices
one must make before building a lynx.

Why?  So a NON-guru, maybe a BLIND non-guru (who is virtually *forced* to
use lynx over ready-to-go IE and Netscape), can install the thing.

eg, on solaris, lynx could be provided via a Sun "package",
and on windows, etc, via dlls or whatever.

----

Re size of program, *also* provide the full-of-compile-time-choices version.
So people limited in program size can continue to use, just as before.

For security-like bools, just have a special .lynx or lynx.cfg that the
administrator puts in a protected place, and which is looked up
and read as the final input (thus overriding any user's).

(AND, that location IS compiled-in, unchangeable -- but it is NOT
required that any file actually BE there.)

David