Re: lynx-dev French messages file

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev French messages file
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:53:12 +0900 (JST)

> Also, Japanese bz2 file could not be read properly since SLCC server

Jim, if this is my file, I would prefer that it remain private.  Link
to the file on my machine if you must, but please don't put it out for
general use.
   http://www.irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp/lynxdev/docs/ja.po.bz2

DISCLAIMER: The above file is free for anyone to use, but realize that
it is customized for specific needs of the site it resides on, does not
strictly adhere to the default English meaning in all cases, and in some
cases purposely blanks out messages. (It is by no means complete.) You
would be well advised to use the one distributed with Hiroyuki Senshu's
Win32 package if you need a ja.po file.

> > There are still many messages to be created, but over 1000 are working.

There are also many messages which could be done away with by combining
with others and reusing them more efficiently.  (Slowly, I will submit
patches.)  One example right off the top of my head is this pair in
LYMessages_en.h, where what is important is that the field cannot be
changed, not what kind of field it is:

#define FORM_LINK_TEXT_UNM_MSG \
 gettext("UNMODIFIABLE form text field.  Use UP or DOWN arrows or tab to move of
f.")
#define FORM_LINK_TEXT_SUBMIT_UNM_MSG \
 gettext("UNMODIFIABLE form field.  Use UP or DOWN arrows or tab to move off.")

Also, I hope putting all of the .lynxrc comments within gettext() is not
going to set a trend because that will create a huge catalogue of messages,
making the translators task formidable (for me, impossible).  The information
is readily available in other files, not even considering whether or not we
want users to be hand editing .lynxrc.  In general, it is easier to translate
text/html files in their entirety than to translate long, multi-line gettext
strings.  One example of what I mean given below.  This:

src/LYrcFile.c      [ write_list(fp, gettext("\ ... ]
default selection.  When this option is set to \"advanced\", and the\n\
user mode is advanced, the 'v'iew bookmark command will invoke a\n\
statusline prompt instead of the menu seen in novice and intermediate\n\
user modes.  When this option is set to \"standard\", the menu will be\n\

is better done (and IMO more easily translated) here:

lynx_help/keystrokes/option_help.html     [as rendered in Lynx]
     * If set to STANDARD, a menu of available bookmarks is always
       invoked when you seek to view a bookmark file or add a link, and
       you select the bookmark file by its letter token in that menu.
     * If set to ADVANCED, you are instead prompted for the letter of the
       desired bookmark file, but can enter '=' to invoke the STANDARD
       selection menu, or RETURN for the default bookmark file.

and is also available in different wording here:

distribution lynx.cfg:      [ available as a link off of =)Info page ]
# default via the .lynxrc file.  When on, the setting can be STANDARD or
# ADVANCED.  If SUPPORT is set to the latter, and the user mode also is
# ADVANCED, the VIEW_BOOKMARK command will invoke a statusline prompt at
# which the user can enter the letter token (A - Z) of the desired bookmark,
# or '=' to get a menu of available bookmark files.  The menu always is

__Henry