Re: lynx-dev Re: table formatting (possible) solution

From: thi
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: table formatting (possible) solution
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 23:04:46 -0700 (PDT)

Rob Partington writes:

 > This is one of the problems with rendering tables.  *I* don't want
 > tables that have been used for formatting rendering because, as w3m
 > shows, it can make perfectly reasonable pages unreadable due to the
 > confines of a text terminal.  ObjTreeLynx will -not- render tables by
 > default, but will have a toggle button next to the start of each
 > table[1] if you want to render that particular table.

here's an idea stolen from emacs that perhaps has been discussed already
(if so, i welcome pointers to archives) -- how about rendering tables
with no regard to actual number of screen columns?  if rendered-width
goes beyond screen-width, display "$" at the edge (or whatever), and
assign a keybinding that scrolls the screen horizontally (left, right)
by say, 20-30 columns.  personally, i do this in emacs for many modes,
using the `[' and `]' keys.

warming up to the idea of extending lynx w/ guile, but no worries, i
don't have time for such fun at the present... :->

thi