Re: lynx-dev FTP under MSDOS

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev FTP under MSDOS
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 18:59:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Igor B. Poretsky wrote:

>     It is well known that Lynx did not support FTP in it's MSDOS
> incarnation. And there was another fault that annoyed me much enough too.
> I mean the "z" key that must immediately abort *any* current network
> operation at *any* moment. As a matter of fact, it works only in the case
> of living connection, but when occassional disconnect suddenly occurs (it
> is quite real in my circumstances) or another side simply goes down or
> stops responding, Lynx ceases to accept regular key strokes (hangs up),
> and the only way to exit is ctrl+break or reboot.
>     I tell about this two problems in the past, because it seems that
> I've resolved them. The root of these deficiences was burried in the TCP
> library (TCPLIBDJ), which was used for compiling the DOS version of Lynx
> (not in the Lynx itself). I was forced to hack it.

This is what we have been waiting for. None of the DOS developers of
lynx were TCP knowledgable enough to fix the problem. We have been
looking for someone to get this fixed for several years. I know that
Wayne Buttles and I each spent many hours on this without success.
Since I keep the tcplib package that we have been using for the DOS
port on my web and ftp sites, please send me your fixes. I should
have room to put it up on my site for download by interested parties.
It is probably best to send this as either a gzip'd patch or a zip
file. BASE64 encoding preferred, but I can handle UUENCODE or XXENCODE
without any problems.

Thanks.
                               Doug
__