Re: lynx-dev proposal for LYK_SCRIPT and patch

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev proposal for LYK_SCRIPT and patch
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 10:21:33 +0900 (JST)

> LYK_SCRIPT is the right way to do the job.

Eduardo, thanks very much for your explanation and the concrete
example.  I have the utmost respect for a programmer who takes pride
in his work.  Seems to me you have a real winner.

> server) in order to use it. LYK_SCRIPT however uses your cache source,
> makes a modification with your script and displays the page immediately

One thing I am not clear on yet is whether or not the original, cached
source is left intact.  If it is, then there is no problem.  However,
if the cached source is irrevocably changed by the script that is applied
to it, i.e., you cannot go back to what was there before running LYK_SCRIPT,
then I think you should work on finding some way to create a new document
and access that.  There are two reasons: 1) a person may have "pushed the
wrong button", chosen the wrong script, and 2) for unknown pages, a person
may want to experiment with what he has in his toolbox.  (This is what I
do in reality now: come in "from the side" [go into another screen], run
scripts on a copy of the document until I have what I want, then write over
the document TMP file, jump back into Lynx and do a ^R.)

If I could make one request, it would be to couple the LYK_SCRIPT function
to the --enable-source-cache configure option.  The main advantage I see to
LYK_SCRIPT is that it uses the cached source.  Someone who does not want to
have the source cache most likely is not going to feel a need for LYK_SCRIPT.
Mostly this ties in with what Philip hinted at yesterday or the day before
that lynx.cfg is getting unwieldy.  Other than having it or not having it,
I can see no need for configurability.

__Henry