Re: lynx-dev moving files to directories that one doesn't own

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev moving files to directories that one doesn't own
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 03:15:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Jon Schewe wrote:

> I use lynx as a file manager on the freenet I volunteer for.  And I've got
> one major problem with lynx.  I can't move files into directories that I
> don't own, even if I have the correct permissions, ie. I'm in the group
> that owns the directory and the directory has group write permissions.  Are
> there any plans to do something about this?

There are no plans, as far as I know.

The check for this is done explicitly in 'dir_has_same_owner' in
HTLocal.c.  You could modify that (and sumbit a patch to the list)
to be more lenient.  There is a function HTEditable in HTFile.c,
a simple way to modify 'dir_has_same_owner' would be to add a call
to 'HTEditable' after the first 'else' in 'dir_has_same_owner'
(and proceed according to the return value).  [ I'm not sure whether
HTEditable really does a good job, it hasn't really been used for
a long time.  I think it was called, but nothing noticeable actually
depended on its result.]

I wouldn't mind making the check less strict.  But it was probably
freenet folks who implemented the code in the first place, and they
should be in a better position to say whether the current strictness
makes sense in some freenet-type situations.

   Klaus