Re: lynx-dev moving files to directories that one doesn't own

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev moving files to directories that one doesn't own
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 18:23:10 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Jon Schewe wrote:

> > The check for this is done explicitly in 'dir_has_same_owner' in
> > HTLocal.c.  You could modify that (and sumbit a patch to the list)
>
> I believe you means LYLocal.c

Yes that's what I meant, sorry.

> > to be more lenient.  There is a function HTEditable in HTFile.c,
> > a simple way to modify 'dir_has_same_owner' would be to add a call
> > to 'HTEditable' after the first 'else' in 'dir_has_same_owner'
> > (and proceed according to the return value).  [ I'm not sure whether
> > HTEditable really does a good job, it hasn't really been used for
> > a long time.  I think it was called, but nothing noticeable actually
> > depended on its result.]
> >
> This looks good except that dir_has_same_owner just gets the stat info and
> the owners uid, but HTEditable wants the directory name, I'll at least have
> to copy the functionality out of HTFile.c

Seems easier to add the name as a third parameter for dir_has_same_owner.
It's only used in two places in LYLocal.c, so no big change.

I would also be more logical to change the name of the dir_has_same_owner
function, since it now doesn't describe any more what it does.  It should
be directory_target_ok_for_user or directory_target_ok or something like
that.

Consider sending a patch for Tom to include, if you think this should
be in the general code.

   Klaus