Re: lynx-dev problems with persistant screen garbage

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev problems with persistant screen garbage
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:21:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Paul wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:
> @>On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Paul wrote:
> @>
> @>> Dear Whomever;
> @>>
> @>>   Running lynx 2.8.2 w/ ssleay patch. Linux 2.2.10 glibc.
> @>>
> @>> #ldd `which lynx`
> @>>         libncurses.so.4 => /usr/lib/libncurses.so.4 (0x40003000)
> @>>         libc.so.6 => /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (0x40044000)
> @>>         /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x2aaaa000)
> @>>
> @>>   Go to 'http://www.fatbrain.com' and enter something in the search
> @>> box, hit go, and immeadiately I see that the status line isnt being
> @>> cleaned up. The page loads, go back or elsewhere, and for me, the
> @>> stuff from the search result page persists as garbage. ^w or ^l refresh
> @>> but the garbage persists.
> @>
>
>       After linking with slang, the problem went away. Seems there may be a
> weird
> problem with ncurses 4.2 / xterm (XFree86 3.3.+) / www.fatbrain.com :)

You didn't answer my question about 'display character set' - did you
check?  Having something wrong there could cause something like this,
if it means lynx would write chars in the range 128-159 to the screen
and your font doesn't have anything there.  And slang might handle that
case differently.
I would also check for a corrupted font, try different fonts.

There are a lot of · in that page, maybe that has something to do
with it.  There are also lots of "&target" which might be interpreted
as character entities; although 2.8.2 should be immune against that.

I would make a local copy of the page, and see whether it shows the
same problem.  Then start messing around with it - first thing would
be to replace &target with &target etc.

   Klaus