lynx-dev Speech capable browser on UK ISP (was: Can you help)

From: David Woolley
Subject: lynx-dev Speech capable browser on UK ISP (was: Can you help)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 13:45:20 +0100 (BST)

> My father in law (who is blind) requires a good web browser for his PC. He
> accesses the internet via Demon . This currently uses NetTamer, which he is
> finding extremely difficult to use. I believe that Demon uses DOS based

Like most commercial ISPs, these days, Demon only support Windows and,
possibly, Mac.  However, they differ from most low end UK ISPs in that
they try to provide a generic internet access service, rather than just
for those people who installed the Windows 98 CD from their local store.

Their origins were in DOS, but using an integrated application, which
couldn't do serious HTTP work (KA9Q (Demon variant)) and for quite a long
time they didn't give in to the inevitable rise of Windows.

The other advantage that Demon has is that they have a lot of users of
unsupported systems who can provide peer support, even if the help desk
will refuse support calls for those systems.  Incidentally, they make
their internal support newsgroups freely available and you can get read
only access to them from pubnews.demon.co.uk, even if your ISP doesn't
carry them.

> systems, can LYNX be used as a replacement for NetTamer ?

I'm not familiar with NetTamer, but, unless there a serious problems
with speech software for Linux, I would suggest that Linux would be
a much more friendly environment for running Lynx/speech synthesiser
combinations.  Network software and DOS never go comfortably together.