Re: lynx-dev mail with lynx

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev mail with lynx
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 01:41:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, John W. Chang wrote:

> i use lynx to send mail sometimes (through the snendmail utility)
> but i noticed that the receiveed mail appears to have an attachment,
> stating that some parts of the mail has non-ascii text.
>
> "---Executing: shownonascii
> This message contains non-ASCII text, which can only be displayed
> properly if you are running X11. What follows
> may be partially unreadable, but the English (ASCII) parts"
>
> Is it possible to send regular text as plain text and not as mime attachments?

This has nothing to do with MIME *attachments* - lynx never creates
them (or other multipart MIME types).  Lynx *does* send mail as plain
text (or, when 'P'rinting HTML source, labelled as text/html).

Do you mails have non-ASCII (non-7bit) characters?  If yes, lynx
can put the charset in the Content-type header.  It may also generate
a 'Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit' header.  Look at the full headers
of the message.

You don't say what version of lynx you are using, on what OS, and what
software you use to read mail.  And we don't know what the headers
look like.  So it's a bit difficult for us to know what is going on.

But, basically, there are two possibilities -
(a) Lynx is sending the right 'charset'.
    You have to teach your mail-reading program to handle the mail
    as you like.
(b) Lynx is sending the wrong 'charset'.
    You have to change some lynx setting to change that.  Setting
    'display character set' in the 'O'ptions screen correctly may be all
    it takes.

Send more detailed info if this is not enough to solve your problem.

   Klaus