lynx-dev Hanging for prompt in -dump mode? No. (was: -post_data sample p

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev Hanging for prompt in -dump mode? No. (was: -post_data sample please)
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:18:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Yury Burkatovsky wrote:

> I use lynx 2.8.2pre.11 on HP-UX 10.20.
>
> I do not know for sure if it hangs; I just waited for a while, then killed
> the command and restarted with option -accept_all_cookies. Maybe too
> hasty?

That's what I assume.

> I'd say the hanging is not a bug: the default behaviour of lynx is "ask
> user", and since stdin is redirected, the user cannot do anything about
> accepting the cookie when lynx encounters it in offline mode.

It would be a bug if lynx really tried to ask the user anything
without realizing that it is in dump_output_immediately mode.
All prompts that would occur in normal (interactive) mode are suppressed
in dump_output_immediately, by providing an automatic answer.  For most
prompts that answer is NO, but for the regular cookie prompt it depends
on just the SET_COOKIE/-cookies setting.  It assumed that if you have
-cookies=on in effect then you do want the cookie.  In other words,
setting -accept_all_cookies (in addition to -cookies=on) should have no
effect in non-interactive mode, it is not necessary.  And when -cookies=off
is in effect, -accept_all_cookies is ignored.  So -accept_all_cookies
is always a no-op in non-interactive mode.  As far as I can see.

> One could use option -cookies instead of -accept_all_cookies in the
> command, but there are many sites that reject access if the browser
> denies their cookies. I did not test this particular form for -cookies.

Keep in mind that -cookies is a toggle.  What you mean with "-cookies"
is the opposite of what someone else means with it, depending on the
default setting (SET_COOKIES in lynx.cfg, or the #define in userdefs.h).

   Klaus