lynx-dev chrtrans for news etc. (was: Sending mail)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev chrtrans for news etc. (was: Sending mail)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 01:47:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Doug Kaufman wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Harri Tuominen wrote:
>
> > I also noticed that DOS port of Lynx doesn't translate character set
> > from ISO-8859-1 to CP850, which I have set as display character set,
> > when reading news articles.
>
> This sounds strange. The DOS port only started doing news recently.
> Perhaps something needs to be tweaked.

It's a general limitiation, nothing specific to the port afaik.
Baiscally all protocol modules that output to HTML_* functions
directly (skipping SGML.c) have this problem, since tranlation for normal
text (i.e. not tag attributes) isn't done in HTML_put_{character,string}.
Vlad has added some character translation in HTML_put_string, but control
of it is completely prettysrc-specific.  There should be a better way.

> How do you know that it isn't
> translating the character sets? Did you try setting your display
> character set to something else (say ISO-8859-1)? Are the displays
> identical for characters which should be different?

If anyone _does_ get chartranslated text for "news:"; in the normal
view, I'd like to know, that would be news to me.  :)

There is a limited workaround.  Switching to source view (at least the
'normal' one) in in article shows the text with charset translation
(but without links added of course).

In all cases, Content-Type headers which might contain a charset will
be ignored; so for the translation that does occur in source view,
the "assumed charset" will be used.

   Klaus