Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.5

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.5
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:01:40 +0900 (JST)

> >Re: when do features get removed
> >
> >I would say when the feature no longer operates, that's the time to remove
> >it.  As for gopher - does the code work?  It should stay in if we can
> >verify that it works.  As for news - I vote to keep it in.  As for wais -
> >has it been removed yet?  I don't recall.  In all these cases, I would
> >say if someone comes along and submits patches to make these protocols
> >compile time options, that would be great.
> >
> Gopher still works on the 2.8.3 dev 5 that I got from Jim Spath's site.  A
> Gopher test URL is:
>   gopher://marvel.loc.gov
>
> I don't know how much longer it will be kept up, but it is still there.
> The University of Minnesota gopher server still exists.  FYI, IE 5 still
> understands gopher.  I think it should stay in Lynx a while longer.

This thread has been brought up a couple of times, which makes me wonder
if people are aware that (on Unix anyway) support for older, non-essential
protocols can be dropped at compile time very easily.  For those using
autoconfigure, look at the "--disable-finger," "-ftp," "-gopher," and
"-news."  Wais, AFAIK, has always been optional.

There is no longer any reason to be concerned about dumping the code for
these protocols.

__Henry