Re: lynx-dev bad command or file name?

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev bad command or file name?
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 18:23:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, karen lewellen wrote:

> this is my first time posting, so this may have been asked before.  I have
> the lynx386 kit and while i love it, i have one constant problem.  each time
> i try to do anything other than just go to a site, such as use ftp or telnet
> or send an comment.  i get the same error message.  after all of the
> copyright info, lynx gives the "bad command or file name" message seen in
> dos.  it looks as if i should edit one of the bat files but which one?

Depending on the version of lynx386 that you have, ftp may not be
built in. Telnet is never built in. Gopher and http should work
without problems. If you want ftp to work, you either need to set up
an external program to work via the "." key, or get a version based
on WATT-32, which supports ftp directly. For telnet to work, you need
a file, TELNET.BAT, which calls your telnet program. If you need to
write back, please let us know if your "lynx386 kit" is Rene Ludwig's
"lynx_kit" or Wayne Buttles' lynx386, and also the version reported
when you invoke "lynx -version".

For pointers to ftp programs, telnet.bat files, and a WATT-32 type
binary, see my site at:
"http://www.rahul.net/dkaufman/lynx2.8.3dev.8-DOS.zip"; or
"ftp://ftp.rahul.net/pub/dkaufman/lynx2.8.3dev.8-DOS.zip";

                          Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)