Re: TRST output (was: lynx-dev megapatch to dev.10 available)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: TRST output (was: lynx-dev megapatch to dev.10 available)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 17:25:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> I was trying this TRST feature - rather nice to see jumps
> when partial display mode is on...

It's an interesting effect...  It is not done intentionally for the
effect though, it was easier this way for me than turning partial
display off temporarily.

I guess this may be bad for blind users.  I don't know whether
partial display is usable by them at all, I was assuming that it
probably isn't.

> One question: how the output of the first line calculated?
> I saw the following:
>

>                     Model      Chassis file size Price (USD)
>                kv-1434                 1,658,219          $2
> Seems all lines have equal percentage for each field
> and we have enough screen width, but the first element
> of the first line was somehow centered while the other lines
> were flashed left.  Is it intentional and what is the rule
> for the first line' output? (Looks reasonable, but I am just curious :)

The alignment for each cell can come from (in this order of precedence)

   - the TD/TH's ALIGN= attribute
   - the TR's ALIGN= attribute
   - the TABLE's ALIGN= attribute
   - intrinsic default: left for TD, center for TH

On the other hand, a <CENTER> or <DIV ALIGN=center> surrounding the
table should have no effect on cell alignment, but will (probably)
affect the position of the table "as a whole.

That's the rules I came up with based on the HTML 4 docs, and some
interpretation thrown in.

So in your example below it is the TH-ness that causes centering
of the header cells.

> <center>
>     <th width="43%">Model</th>
>     <th width="39%">Chassis</th>