Re: lynx-dev Bug : Cookies setting not saved

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Bug : Cookies setting not saved
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 15:15:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 16 May 2000, pAb-032871 wrote:

> > >   As soon as you quit Lynx, all cookies from that session
> > > are dumped [in other words, it only puts the data in RAM, or maybe
> > > in a temp file, but nowhere permanent on disk].
> >
> Klaus Weide wrote:
> > That was so in version 2.7.1.  Not any more if PERSISTENT_COOKIES is set
> > TRUE.
>
> OOPSE, thanks for catching that!  What's the usual default setting?

See your (hopefully up-to-date) lynx.cfg.  Or see
   Linkname: Lynx Release 2.8.3 - New features

> If you end up with a cookies file, I guess you could just delete
> it periodically.

Lynx users should NOT have to resort to tricks like this, in order to
make sure that lynx doesn't leave unwanted cookies around.  That's for
the commercial browsers that don't leave the user in control.

There is no need to periodically check for cookie files, unless persistent
cookies are explicitly enabled.

No temporary files are used for cookies, so there is no danger of leaving
them on disk if lynx crashes unexpectedly (without removing temp files).

   Klaus