Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 10:44:49 +0900 (JST)

> If you cat such a file (in which vi shows "^[") and see correct kanji,
> then it means the terminal emulation[*] does understand iso-2022-jp.
> It could also be that cat itself does some magical transformation, but
> I think that's very unlikely.
>
> [*] The terminal emulation or some magic in between, which for practical
> purposes can be considered part of the terminal emulation.

Well, catting a file does show kanji (in the past I've used cat as a pager
for mail), but I still am very suspicious that Solaris [Japanese version]
is setting up the stream, by default in euc, to send to the terminal.

I can only say from experience:
 1) TeraTerm, the Windows terminal emulator I use, in Japanese mode only
    has two choices for receive/transmit kanji, euc or sjis.  The MS-DOS
    emulator I once used had the same two choices.
 2) I can control what gets sent, euc or sjis, with the "setterm -x"
    command on the Solaris host.  If I cat a file after "setterm -x SJIS",
    sjis is sent to the terminal, and if after "setterm -x EUC", euc is
    sent.  (As a side note "-x ASCII" is the same as "-x EUC.")

> Thanks for your answers to my other questions; they help me understand

I only wish I were more knowledgable and had the time to study more.

__Henry