Re: lynx-dev Superscripts

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Superscripts
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 20:54:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Henry Nelson wrote:

(quoting me)
> > ISO 8859-1 to cp850. If you need specific instructions on how to
> > change your code page to 850 from 437, write to me off the list, and
> > I'll give you the exact lines for your config.sys file to enable the
> Please, Doug, run these by the list.  If for some reason you feel it is
> inappropriate, please CC me (but it could end up being a long list since
> lots of us are interested in this area).  Thanks.
>
> One related quickee, you mention config.sys, does that mean you have to
> reboot the machine to change code pages?

OK. I'll send the info to the list when I get home tonight. I didn't
want to crowd the list with non-lynx related information. MS-DOS
needs DISPLAY.SYS loaded from config.sys to be able to change code
pages. This is probably already there for anyone not using English as
the default language on their DOS computer, but is not on standard
American setups. The zip file I quoted contains files with the code
pages for multiple ISO 8859-? character sets not routinely distributed
with MS-DOS. DOS routinely comes with cp437 and cp850. cp850 has the
same characters as ISO 8859-1, but in a different order, so reading
ISO 8859-1 when in cp850 has scrambled letters. MSKERMIT can translate
seamlessly, so you can set lynx to display character set ISO 8859-1
and set MSKERMIT to convert this to cp850 (if you use MSKERMIT to
telnet or to dial up into your unix machine).

The file with the ISO codepages for MS-DOS is also available from the
author's web page: "http://www.kostis.net/freeware/indexe.htm";.
                          Doug
__
Doug Kaufman