Re: lynx-dev UTF-8 display questions (was: Superscripts)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev UTF-8 display questions (was: Superscripts)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 13:21:18 -0500 (CDT)

On 12 Jun 2000, Sergei Pokrovsky wrote:

>   Klaus> On 11 Jun 2000, Sergei Pokrovsky wrote:
>   >> >>>>> "Klaus" == Klaus Weide <address@hidden> writes:
>   >>
>   >> (answering to my complaint about too early word wrap for UTF-8
>   >> Cyrillic:)
>   Klaus> ./configure --with-screen=slang [...]  make
>   Klaus> SITE_DEFS="-DSLANG_MBCS_HACK"
>   >>
>   Klaus> It works well for me in most $TERMinal types (but not all -
>   Klaus> although those aren't UTF-8 capable anyway).
>   >>  I've reinstalled slang and got normal lines for the multibyte
>
>   Klaus> Which version are you using now?  Is it a different version
>   Klaus> than before?
>
>   Klaus> I'm not sure why you reinstalled slang - iirc, we didn't
>   Klaus> discuss anything where slang was suspected to be the problem.
>
> Well, you had asked about the slang I was using; and I was not sure (I
> had installed slang many years ago, and since then had purged some
> unused programs; so, to be sure, I've installed slang-1.4.1).

So you are more up to date slang-wise than me.
Since i haven't tested with slang 1.4 at all, it's possible that some
changes in slang (esp. differences in cursor movement optimisation)
would interfere with UTF-8 output.  But we don't have any evidence for
that so far.

>   >> characters.  BUT at an unacceptable price: when the cursor passes
>   >> through an anchor containing multibyte character(s), the line is
>   >> spoiled (it is shifted to the left, so that some text before the
>   >> multibyte anchor is lost, while the last characters of the line
>   >> are duplicated, as the former tail remains on the screen).
>
>   Klaus> Can you give a minimal example where this is happening?
>
> No, I've rebuilt lynx with the same options as before, but *that*
> misbehavior is no longer reproduced.  I do not know why; probably the
> environment has has changed on my machine (in particular, now I've
> succeeded to reinstall ncurses and that could change terminfo
> ... actually, the misbehavior was observed after a failure to
> reinstall ncurses, though I don't think that its "make -install"
> succeeded to spoil anything).
>
> I must confess that rebuilding lynx is an inexhaustible source of
> surprise for me.  Of course I contribute to it by modifying some

Well at least you're not getting bored. :)

> configuration options, but I can never predict the side effects:
>
> - changing a COLOR may change a face (bright colors become bold; I'd
>   rather prefer the opposite, as the boldness make them too bright,
>   while some pale colors could be usable only in a bold face);

Of the recognized 16 color names,
#      black              red            green            brown
#       blue          magenta             cyan        lightgray
#       gray        brightred      brightgreen           yellow
# brightblue    brightmagenta       brightcyan            white

the second half is just the first half repeated, with a 'bold' attribute
added.  What happens when an xterm receives the escape sequence for 'bold'
("\E1m") has more to do with xterm configuration than lynx.  There are
various command line flags and X resources to control what happens, I don't
fully understand all the possibilities, and when which is used, but some
seem to be: overstriking; different font; different color.

Hmm, and since you are using slang, you may want to experiment with the
'-blink' flag to lynx.  And see what happens after you "LYNXCFG://reload".
(Just trying to make sure that your inexhaustible source won't dry up
soon...)

> - emphasis is sometimes rendered with the color only (which I'd
>   prefer), or is combined with underline (which I'd rather turn off,
>   but don't know how to do it).

lynx -nocolor suppresses that.

(cont'd in another message)
   Klaus