Re: lynx-dev JS onclick

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev JS onclick
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 08:15:48 +0100 (BST)

> This sounds like it _might_ have lower capabilities than WebTV.

I don't think the description is incompatible with Web TV.  Unfortunately,
unlike the Web TV site, the on-net site had absolutely no information for
content authors the last time I looked; however, my guess is that it is
a WebTV franchise.

Judging by the response of my marketing people, it will have no impact on
the design of business to business sites, and I don't think they would
be influenced by the 1 million subscribers in relation to the total US
population, even if they were targetting consumers.  They're just hoping
that Netscape dies, so that they only need to target MSIE.  Netscape
doesn't look strong, given that they released Netscape 6 beta when it
broke many times in the first half hour I used it; that looks like
desperation to get something into the market.

Even though WebTV is sufficiently limited to require special accessibility
considerations, it still supports static graphics, a simulation of frames
as tables, and a substantial part of Javascript and the big 2 document
object model (I'm not sure, but I think the frames support gives the
correct frames DOM to their scripting support.  WebTV optimised sites are
still going to a problem for independent browsers.  However, it doesn't support
Java or any plugins (e.g. flash).